Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Amsterdam.


Hello everybody, yesterday was pretty loco in all the best ways. My flight was bumped up to first class at the last minute! That was so dope. Flying 8 hours when your in first class isnt long enough. I didnt sleep a wink on the flight, but I did watch a really pleasent movie called "Under The Same Moon", watched "Horton Hears a Who", Got massaged by the seats for about 40 minutes, and listened to the best of Idena Minzel. That last one was not that enjoyable really...But the flight was a good time thats for sure. I arrived at the Spichol Airport in the morning and from there my friend Andrew ( who I went to school with ) and I headed to Amsterdam where we met 3 of his friends; Hima, Caleb, and Mikiya. From there we explored the city by foot. We saw some pretty absurd things, when walking down the red light district I noticed one scandily clad employee in the window who was about 270 pounds and had less teeth than nessasary to come off as not being a meth head. But shockingly there were some bombshells in the window, you know, if your into that sort of thing. The architecture of the buildings down here is incredible. I cant seem to get over the little details about these builings. the doors are all incredible. Some intricatly detailed dark woods, entirely ancient looking rusted iron, brand new and bright green, and some about 3-4 feet tall. I have always had a thing for cool looking doors, so naturally, im getting my fix here. The stairs are all insanely steep and narrow. I am not proud to say that the stairs here in Amsterdam being climbed by the obviously American tourist have made for a cheap laugh. And by obviously American I mean on par with the body type of the meth head harlet in the red light district. It is so great to see how many nationalities reside here in Amsterdam. The little pubs are owned by loud red headed irish wemon who serve wonderful beer but mortifying red wine. The book stores owned by bubble english wemon, the smart shops by rastafari men, and the clothing stores by edgy looking black chicks. This is the second most diverse city ( if not equally ) I have been in next to New York. Yesterday we had the funnest time getting handfuls of bread and tossing them in front of silly looking overdressed girls and watching the meyham. Hundreds of birds would bombard the dizzy dames. Obceneties sound much funnier when they are screamed by Dutch girls. It was all in good natured playful bird war. When you run out of bread you run out of Ammo. The way bikes work here is really funny. Everyone steals eachothers bikes. If you leave it unlocked you are saying "take me, and ill take yours " I still havent fully understood the concept. We left Amsterdam at yesterday around 7:00 and headed to Calebs place in heemskerk ( a small suburb in Harlem, 25 min out of Amsterdam ) His host family is really great, as is their apartment. Calebs room reminds me of Arnolds room in "Hey Arnold" ( Andrew you know what im saying...)
Allright! Well, I just woke up and showered in preperation for today. Caleb is going to "Do Fitness"... the dutch say fitness instead of gym. Andrew is just waking up, and Mikiya is going to smoke the Hookah, and I am going to snoop around this beautiful neigboorhood. We will all meet up Later tonight in Amsterdam to see the nightlife. Apparently it gets very cold here in Eastern Europe at night...better bring a jacket! Allright guys! Again, I love you all and thanks for reading. I will be updating every chance I can get my hands on a computer. As for the bunny in the photo...I dont know. This bunny named Elmo dosnt move. His cage is left open all the time and he stays put. The red-head is Andrew. Both Andrew and Elmo are very cool... one just dosnt move.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mushrooms... we want mushrooms :op

hé hé... joke